Dental Crowns Can Restore Function and Enhance Appearance
A dental crown restores a tooth’s strength, and appearance by encasing it in a porcelain, IPS e.max®, or zirconia tooth-shaped covering. Importantly, a dental crown can preserve your tooth when it would otherwise have to be extracted. Dr. Ilya Yagudayev works closely alongside our team and a proven dental lab to design dental crowns for patients at our Riverhead, NY, practice that not only save your tooth, but also make it appear beautiful look natural and beautiful.
Dental Crown Candidates
A dental crown can restore a tooth that is too damaged for a dental filling, inlay, or onlay. In many cases, patients need a crown because they have a badly weakened or missing tooth. However, patients can also benefit from a dental crown purely for cosmetic reasons.
Candidates for dental crowns generally have teeth that are:
- Severely decayed
- Chipped, cracked, or broken
- Discolored or stained
- Misshaped or disproportionate
- Badly worn from teeth grinding
- Being replaced by a dental implant
- Undergoing root canal therapy
Our High-Quality Crowns
At Affordable Dental Care, we use the best materials available for dental crowns.
- Porcelain: This material is known for its lifelike qualities and ability to blend beautifully with your smile. However, it may not be durable enough for molars.
- IPS e.max®: A lithium disilicate glass-ceramic crown is known for its combined durability, strength, and aesthetics. It is best used for teeth in the back of the mouth.
- Zirconia: This option is known for its aesthetic benefits and ability to naturally match the tooth’s appearance. It can be used for both front and back teeth.
During your consultation, your doctor will conduct an evaluation to determine the material most suited for your smile and unique needs.
What to Expect During the Procedure
First, your dentist will completely numb your tooth so you will be comfortable. Next, he will clean and reshape the healthy remaining portion of your tooth. He will remove any decay as well as make room for the crown to fit securely over your tooth. In some cases, a tooth needs to have a filling to add enough material to support the crown. Typically, it is when the tooth has been fractured or had a root canal. After the tooth is prepared, the doctor will make an impression of it to send to his dental lab. He will also select a shade for the new restoration that will closely match your natural teeth. Then he will place a temporary crown on your tooth. You will return in approximately two weeks, when the permanent crown is ready, so we can attach it to your tooth.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns can restore the health and structural integrity of your tooth so that you do not require more extensive treatment, such as dental implants, with the associated costs.
A crown can also:
- Alleviate dental discomfort
- Restore the shape, size, strength, and functionality of the affected tooth
- Enhance the appearance of the tooth
- Provide a long-lasting solution
Schedule an Appointment
If you need a dental crown, we provide affordable care as well as convenient financing options. Contact our practice today to schedule your consultation and learn more about whether a crown is right for you.